Birth pain is a versatile pain with its own characteristics and is usually very severe. Many mothers are the most severe pain they can live for. This may cause physiological stress to occur in the mother and fatigue during birth.
The method known as painless normal birth has become a special regional anesthesia method that is used to remove the pain sensation during labor or cesarean operation. Unlike the general anesthetic, it allows the mother to be awake during the procedure and to fully perceive what is happening around her. With its real name, this method called epidural anesthesia is performed with the help of a very thin catheter by entering the area called the epidural field and giving local anesthetic materials. The mother-mother print feels the touch, can even get up and walk, but not feel pain. For this reason, epidural anesthesia has become the most preferred, most effective, safest and most commonly used method for normal delivery.
During normal labor, after about 15 minutes after the catheter is placed and the drug is administered, the mother begins to feel no pain, even though she does not feel contractions. Additional doses may be given if the birth is prolonged or if the effect of the drug is reduced and the patient begins to feel pain.
An epidural catheter insertion for anesthesia is an easy and painless application at the last time in terms of patients. The benefits of this method are as follows.
Benefits of epidural anesthesia:
- Epidural anesthesia is a very effective method for painless normal delivery.
- It helps to relieve birth pain in an effective way.
- Epidural analgesia does not stun the mother, does not stop intestinal movements, does not prevent gas extraction.
- Psychological relaxation increases your chances of normal birth by resolving muscle spasms and accelerates birth.
- Because you are not tired after birth, your take you baby much quicker, And you can feed immediately.
- Post-epidural headache is very rare when done at the proper dose.
- Dim cut (episiotomy) opening the case and in relieving the pain associated with it in the pop heard during repair is highly effective. With the application of episiotomy, it is aimed to avoid irregular tears in the cervix that may occur during normal birth.In the region of the vagina, which allows the baby to escape during normal birth, uneven irregular tears due to birth can occur. Since it is not known how many centimeters of these tears can be formed, a controlled birth section is administered by means of episiotomy. In this way, normal birth is more easily realized.
- Epidural Analgesia allows cesarean section to be performed in a vigilant manner without giving general anesthesia by increasing the drug dose given from the inserted catheter when cesarean section is needed.
- After applying , the mother can walk.
Epidural Analgesia is rarely the case where its application is inconvenient and can be successfully applied in most cases.
The side effects and risks of epidural anesthesia are extremely low compared to what is supposed to be done by an experienced specialist. Some of these are listed as follows.
Side effects and risks of epidural anesthesia:
- The most common side effect is low blood pressure. To prevent this, the fluid is loaded before the procedure and blood pressure is closely monitored.
- Especially in patients who are overweight in pregnancy, it may be difficult to technically administer epidural anesthesia to various problems at the site, and the procedure may fail and may be painful at birth.
- The situation in which the epidural needle penetrates into the brain fluid of the spinal anesthesia may occur, the lower part of the spinal cord is completely numb and can not move. This condition is temporary, but it can be a postnatal headache.
- Headache is often more common when moving during the procedure. Very fluid and caffeine-containing beverages are taken, with the bed rest on the back. Even if not treated, it passes spontaneously without any trace within 7-15 days.
- Rarely, it can be difficult to urinate, and infection can occur at the site where the catheter is inserted.
- Some patients may have mild allergic reactions. Regional, transient ischemia spontaneously or through a simple medication in a few hours.
- Neurological complications (weakness in the legs or incontinence of the urine) in pain-free women are very rare
- These medicines will not harm the baby when given in the proper dose. Since the medication used is very little to the blood, and they pass through the placenta to reach the baby, they are not expected to have a negative effect on the baby as soon as they are disintegrated.
- When the mother begins to breathe properly, the amount of oxygen that goes to the baby increases. When the baby is born, it becomes more lively. Nevertheless, the baby is carefully monitored for at least 30 minutes after epidural administration.
- Painless delivery catheters used to be placed outside of the membranes covering the spinal cord. So your mother will not get a ‘water’ from her waist. When done in accordance with the technique, there is no harm to the mother in painless birth.
- Whether or not epidural anesthesia is performed, there are waist pain in every 3 females after birth; it is believed that this is due to the sudden change of postpartum as the center of gravity of the pregnancy-dependent body gradually shifts forward and the waist muscles meet this.
Your health is important to us. If you have any questions on these matters, Please contact Tuğrul Abacıoğlu from the phone numbers below or our live support line and an appointment will be made.